This post’s title sounds like a typo, doesn’t it?! Rest assured, no typo here! Today, I’m discussing the importance of hydrating, not only with the water you drink, but with the foods you consume, as well. Consuming water-rich foods allows our bodies to absorb the water more-slowly, which assists in greater absorption.
Fad diets’ contribution
I remember about a year ago, during the peak of “Keto Season”, I, myself, was attempting to eat more fats. [Yes, even health coaches get intrigued!] Eating chocolate, avocado pudding, for breakfast, was giving me so much energy, and I wanted that to continue! Also during this time, I began to experience more acne, feeling sluggish, and “heavier”. I’d make grain-free breads, and granolas, eat avocados on the regular, and a whole lot of fish and sushi. During this time, I thought I was eating healthy.
This is the problem with fad diets. You THINK you’re eating healthy. But let’s get the facts straight: over-consuming too much of a certain food (and not consuming enough of another) doesn’t produce harmony in your body, it creates disconnect.
Now, it’s clear to me why my body was screaming out profanities (in the form of acne and gut issues): it was lacking in one of the most vital nutrients… water!
Good ‘ole H2o
We rely on water to function, absolutely! Drinking water boosts skin health, regulates body temperature, prevents dehydration, assists in digestion and flushing waste out of our bodies, boosts performance during exercise, assists in weight-loss and more.
The amount of water needed will vary from person to person, however, it's recommended that men consume around 15 cups, and women 11. These recommendations aren’t only for drinking water, however. Roughly 80% of that recommendation should come from drinking water, while the other 20% should come from food!
Think of is this way: When you’re drinking lots of water, you’re running to the bathroom. And during these times, we’re likely to lose more essential vitamins and minerals, because the water is going through us too quickly. This can be why people who overexert themselves, with physical activities, can experience damaging depletion of vitamins and minerals, which can lead to exhaustion, muscle cramping and even heart palpitations.
THIS DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULN’T DRINK WATER! We just have to be smart about it, and this is where hydrating foods come in.
Foods like melons, romaine, cucumbers and fresh berries are made up of mostly water. Because these foods contain good amounts of fiber, vitamins and minerals, they are absorbed slower, which means the water in them is absorbed slower, as well. THIS IS GOOD! The slower our bodies absorb water-rich foods, the more-hydrated they get.
After making an attempt to eat more water-rich foods, I began to notice a SIGNIFICANT change in my health. My acne was going away (because my gut was healing), I was frequenting the bathroom more-often (because the fiber was assisting in detoxing), and I felt lighter! Read here for my go-to, daily green drink!
Not only do our bodies rely on drinking water, but they rely (heavily) on eating it. My best recommendation is to make sure you’re consuming hydrating foods, throughout the day, and spread out your water-drinking, too. That way, you're less-likely to be running to the bathroom, constantly, and losing all of those vitamins and minerals, in the process!
I know water-drinking isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and for many, carbonated water is helpful! Lately, I’ve found that drinking a bottle of sparkling mineral water has proven to be my “treat”, at the end of a long day. The bubbles are fancy enough to make me feel rewarded! The added bonus?! Sparkling mineral water (like Gerolsteiner, which I consume), contain essential minerals that help with everything from muscle aches, menstrual cramps to skin health!
Plant-based eating doesn’t mean eating “Vegan”. While certain fad diets have assisted in helping us learn more about eating healthy, most of them just allow us to forget about essential food groups. Remember, plants are important! Eat more of them, drink more of them and watch your body thank you for doing so!