Ice cream is a summer staple for a lot of us, and for good reason! Cold, thick and creamy - this sweet treat makes the perfect dessert, and like my grandma used to say, "melts around the edges!"
For me, giving up dairy resulted in a period where I realized all of the ice creams I could no longer indulge in. But soon after, I realized all of the delicious non-dairy alternatives there were! While I still do enjoy partaking in these delicious alternatives, I still can't help but feel a little bit of guilt - there's a lot of added sugar in there!
"Nice" cream, simply, is ice cream made from a banana base (usually). It's a non-dairy option, but also an option you can feel better about consuming; free from added sugars and gums. I love nice cream because it allows me to change it up; bananas mixed with anything else that sounds good enough to satisfy my sweet tooth (or teeth, if we're being honest).
Some of my favorite nice cream add-ins include: cacao, nut butter, local honey, superfoods, strawberries and lately (if you'd believe it or not), cauliflower! It's true, cauliflower takes on any flavor it's mixed with, making it a wonderful way to incorporate more veggies into your diet!
SO, what's been MY favorite nice cream recipe, in the past week?! Read on!
Super Thick, Vanilla "Nice" Cream:
- 1 cup frozen (pre-steamed) cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen (pre-steamed) zucchini (skin removed)
- 1 cup frozen banana
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (I've been using Coyo Natural because it's thick and delicious)
- a splash (or two) of any sort of non-dairy milk alternative (I've been using Oatly)
- a scoop of Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- cacao mixed it, at the very end
* Pre-steaming cauliflower and zucchini i(before freezing) is important! Without doing this, you might become a little gassy (since consuming raw veggies tends to do this). I steam the veggies and then let cool, completely, before storing in a freezer bag, in the freezer.
* Vital Proteins is one of my favorite brands on the planet! They contain no artificial sugars or sweeteners; just real ingredients. Another plus, collagen is great for gut, skin, bone, joint and sleep health! Vital Proteins products can be purchased online, and you can save 20% off by subscribing (which you can cancel at anytime)! The vanilla flavor contains real vanilla bean powder, which adds on to the delicious vanilla flavor!
I add in all ingredients (minus the Vital Proteins) and blend, on high, until it's very thick and creamy. Then, I add in my scoop of Vital Proteins and mix again, until everything is blended. Once it reaches a desired consistency, I add in a spoonful of cacao powder, and hand-mix. Pour into a bowl, and enjoy!